Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lost retainers, broken fingers and fried hair - Oh my!

Well we've only been in Dublin for a little over a day now, but as you know with us -something always goes wrong:

Lost retainers: On the flight from Seattle to London, I was a good girl and put in my retainers while I tried to sleep. When I woke up they had brought us breakfast, so I took the retainers out and put them in the box (I know, I know) while I was eating. They came to take the trays and by then I had forgot about them. As we were about 20 minutes from landing in London, I realized I'd thrown them away. I told the flight attendants what I'd done and they said I'd have to wait until we got on the ground but then I could go through the trash and see if I could find them. One of the flight attendants actually started looking as we were landing and found them for me. Not smashed or covered in trash. The last thing Dr. Trammell said to me was 'don't loose your retainers!' and I tried on the first day. I'm very thankful to the flight attendant who found them. I soaked them and scrubbed them up and they are good as new!

Broken finger: Ok, so I didn't really break my finger, but I did slam it in a door. Our bathroom in the hotel has a room with the toilet that can be closed off from the rest, or you can just close the door to the bathroom as a whole. It's the same door to do both and as I was coming out from the bathroom this morning, I stuck my hand behind the door to stop it and it tried to slam shut on my finger. Mom did this last night and warned me, but I forgot. Luckily the door didn't hit her hand as hard. I have a cut on my knuckle and my finger is still a bit swollen. I think I will survive though. :)

Fried hair:- This one isn't funny, but we couldn't really do anything but laugh. Mom plugged in her curling iron this morning to do her hair. My school advisors and Heidi mentioned that the converters don't pull the voltage down on electronics like that, but we tried anyway. Mom noticed that something smelled warm, but thought it was just the unit in the wall. She went to use the curling iron and noticed smoke coming her hair and heard a sizzling noise. Once she realized what was happening, she tried to open the barrel and no hair was released. This was because the hair had burn off of her head and onto the curling iron. Now she has a tuft of bangs, right in the middle, that's about a half an inch long. You must be thinking we are making this up, but no, see photos below.







No comments:

Post a Comment